Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Author Spotlight: Tara Tyler


Livia, you've been seeing so many movies lately! I love reading your reviews and anticipate them on FB! Thank so much for hosting me as part of my Broken Branch Falls blog tour!

Livia asked me about publishing, so that's what I'll be talking about today!

First, Why publish?
I wrote my first MS for fun, and after reading it again years later, I thought, why not see if I can sell it? I had a blast writing it and wanted to share the fun story. It's now called Jacks and Jills and Jezebels - a wild night on the town for a bachelorette party in 90s Hotlanta. Back then, it was chick lit, now I'd say it's NA - that young adult phase in your twenties when you're newly independent, taking lots of chances without a whole lot of responsiblities, and trying to figure out a direction for your life. Unfortunately, chick lit was out and my writing was terrible, it was redo or let it die...

But, once I started, I couldn't stop. I wrote a solid futuristic adventure thriller and finally got it published! The timing was perfect! I found Curiosity Quills, a smaller publisher right up my quirky alley!

She also asked about the pros and cons of publishing... personally, I love my small pubisher, but here are some pros and cons that might help with decisions on which way to go.


PROSCONS
They do awesome editing!I arrange my appearances -
They do awesome covers!   they totally support me, but it's up
They handle the finances   to me to get my butt in gear and
They are building connections   get out there
They are helpfulThey are very busy, small but growing
They are encouragingThere's a lot of trial and error

If you know what to expect, you won't be disappointed. You should expect a ton more from a bigger publisher and not so much from a smaller, newer one. And self pub means doing it all on your own, all your way. Every form of publishing has its drawbacks - you choose by how long you are willing to wait for answers and how much say you want or might have to settle for doing more work for yourself... It's up to you!

Whichever way you go, GOOD LUCK and HAPPY PUBLISHING!!
What's your preference? Are you published? How's it going???
(and don't forget to sign up for the raffle below!)

BROKEN BRANCH FALLS (MG Fantasy)


Release Date: June 24, 2014
Publisher: Curiosity Quills

Gabe is an average fifteen-year-old goblin. He’s in the marching band, breezes through calculus, and gets picked on daily by the other kids at school, especially the ogres. He's tired of being a goblin – he’d like to try other things. And he has his eye on the new ogress at school. It’s against all beastly rules, but there’s just something about her.



When a prank goes wrong, Gabe is forced to join the football team as punishment, but finds a way to make it work. Soon the whole school is getting in on the fad of mingling with other species. Too bad the adults decide to step in and ruin things, threatening to destroy the school and split up Broken Branch Falls. And Gabe is their scapegoat. With help from other outcast friends, Gabe sets out on a quest hoping to saving Broken Branch Falls. After all this trouble, it better work.



Add it to your GOODREADS list!


Tara Tyler has had a hand at everything from waitressing to rocket engineering. After living up and down the Eastern US, she now writes and teaches math in Ohio with her three active boys and Coach Husband. Currently, she has two series, The Cooper Chronicles (techno-thriller detective capers) and Beast World (MG fantasy) She's an adventure writer who believes every good story should have action, a moral, and a few laughs!


Also by Tara Tyler, techno-thriller detective series,
The Cooper Chronicles, Book One: POP TRAVEL


24 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Tara!
    My publisher expects me to get my butt out there, but I can live with that. They do other marketing stuff I couldn't do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really happy with my small publisher, I feel like working with them has been a great introduction to the world of publishing for me. I'm glad you've had such a great experience with yours!
    Hi, Livia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Tara! It's always important to weigh the pros and cons in every situation, especially publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter what you seem to have someone in your corner so good luck Tara. Big or small no writer should leave everything to the publisher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some great pros and cons to consider, Tara. Great stop Livia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The editing and covers are a plus. It's wonderful to have choices these days as to how to publish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your book, Tara! Thanks for sharing the pros and cons - I would definitely think editing is a big bonus for sure with a publisher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grats on the book! I've heard a lot of good things about Curiosity Quills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Livia and Tara,

    It's so nice to see the Tara tour totally tantalising her fans. A fascinating insight. Hearty congrats, Tara. Thank you for having her visit your wonderful site, Livia.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alex - you would draw quite a crowd if you advertised you were making an appearance somewhere!
    Julie - i know what you mean, glad you are doing well too!
    David - exactly! hope things are going well for you!
    Sheena - you're so right! the author should always have a say!
    Rena - thanks, woman!
    Mary - having options is awesome! but they all involve hard work!
    Kimberly - yes, editing is wonderful and necessary!
    Loni - thank you. yes, they're great!
    Gary - so glad you made an appearance! nice to see you, buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. and Livia - i really appreciate you hosting me! you're such a sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Small houses give such a personal experience and touch, in comparison to just being a small fish in a big bowl under one of the Big Five.

    I've love to eventually turn my personal imprint, Purple Tarantula, into a bona-fide small publishing house. I still need to make a blog or webpage for it, and invite other indies to publish under the imprint if they fit into one of the three main lines I'd like (historical, soft sci-fi/futuristic, and memoir/journals).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like your list of pros and cons - I've really thought about finding a small publisher for my current MS and that lists helps me think about it. Your new book sounds great and I can't wait to read it, Tara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One pro is smaller publishers are much more personable and willing to take a risk on a new author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. All types of publishing have their pros and cons, and the author has to do their own marketing in all of them (unless you are a really big name like Patterson or King). I enjoyed most of my experiences with the small publishers I've worked for, although I still prefer doing things myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You'd arrange your appearances if you were with a big press, too, believe me! They didn't arrange anything for me. However, I'm coming to realize many of these appearances didn't make much difference, outside of establishing a relationship with local bookstores and libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post!

    It's going to be a great week next week!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. carrie-anne - i agree, smaller feels more personal, and i love the name purple tarantula!
    krista - thanks! i wish you luck in deciding!
    diane - great point! glad you brought that up!
    cherie - thats probably true, but they do seem to have more connections... and you are doing awesome on your own!
    stephanie - you're right, on both counts. but i think connections help!
    heather - ah! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that organized pros and cons list, Tara!
    Hi Livia!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like a fun story for teens. Isn't just like an adult to ruin everything, atleast that's what a teen would say. Lol, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the giveaway!

    rounder9834 @yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Livia, I'm just stopping by to say hi. I hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete