Wednesday, March 12, 2014

My Top Ten Films of 2013

The best film of 2013. 

I am finally posting my Top Ten Films of 2013! It took forever to catch up on some films and reflect on what affected me the most. Film is an experience of emotions.  

2013 was a bold year for film. Hollywood released very significant, relevant, and emotionally endearing films. With that said, it was difficult to narrow down the films. 

1. "Gravity" -- I watched this film three times in cinemas. It was an immersive cinematic experience. You feel like you are in space with Dr. Ryan Stone (Sandra Bullock) and Matt Kowalski (George Clooney). The script is weak, but the performances, visual effects, and the escape from reality made up for it. "Gravity" is more than two people stranded in space;  it is a fight for survival and wanting to live your life to the fullest. (Note: Some of you may think this film is boring as heck, but I guarantee you, it is not.) 

2. "12 Years a Slave" -- A film that will make you look at slavery in a way you never have before. Very difficult to watch, but something you should NOT ignore because of the subject. It is a raw insight into what America had to endure in the 1800's. I was on the verge of tears during the whole film and sobbed at the end. 

3. "Her" -- A touching and moving film about Theodore Twombly (Joaquin Phoenix) falling in love with his operating system Samantha. It reflects our society in many ways. 

4. "The Wolf of Wall Street" -- A cautionary tale about using your money wisely and the consequences of betraying your co-workers. Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill deliver helluva performances. Can't stop thinking about the Quaalude scene. Martin Scorsese doesn't disappoint. 

5. "Philomena" -- An emotional roller-coaster about Philomena (Judi Dench) trying to find her long, lost son Anthony with journalist Martin Sixsmith (Steve Coogan). Delightfully charming and hilarious. I laughed, cried, laughed, cried, etc.  

6. "Dallas Buyers Club" -- A film about Ron Woodroof (Matthew McConaughey) diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and smuggling in drugs to survive. McConaughey transforms himself into an actor showing great range in this film. Jared Leto steals most of the scenes from him. 

7. "August: Osage County" -- A film that shows every family is dysfunctional in their own way -- small or big. Meryl Streep is excellent as always. 

8. "American Hustle" -- The most unpredictable film of 2013. Sexy and raunchy, thanks to the first-rate performances by Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams. A little step down from "Silver Linings Playbook".

9. "Blue Jasmine" -- An insightful look into how relationships affect us. Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins deliver stellar performances. 

10. "Nebraska" -- An intense character study about loving and appreciating your family. Bruce Dern is  divine in this film. June Squibb is delightfully hilarious, stealing most of the scenes from Dern. 

Honorable Mentions: "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire", "Star Trek Into Darkness", "The Way, Way Back", "Captain Phillips", "Prisoners", "Stories We Tell", "Mud", "The Spectacular Now", "Fruitvale Station", "Rush", "Saving Mr. Banks", "Frozen", and "The Wind Rises".

5 comments:

  1. I've only seen a couple of those. Very curious about Dallas Buyers Club after the Oscar wins for the actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list, Livia! I would put most of these in my top 10, but I still like it.
    I actually thought American Hustle was superior to Silver Linings. I liked the latter, but didn't find anything that special about it. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought gravity was a little silly as far as the story line went to be honest. As a movie, 12 years a Slave packed a much bigger punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You clearly make it to the cinema more often than I but we did see Fruitvale Station. That one blew me away.

    Livia, I hope you might consider joining my bloggers' book club. Details are here: http://armchairsquid.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-cephalopod-coffeehouse-april-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Gravity got all sorts of kudos from Hollywood and I agree the visual effects were great. My hubby, 16-year-old daughter and I all watched it together. Hubby loved it. That weak story line and Sandra Bullock's incessant whining got on my daughter and my nerves, though. You'd think someone struggling in her position would be a sympathetic character. I could never do everything she did to survive, but no. Like fingers on a chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete