Wednesday, November 6, 2013

IWSG: National Nonfiction Writing Month (NaNonFiWriMo)

 
Hosted by Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh!
 
I know many of my writerly friends are participating in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) this month. I heard the challenge is rewarding in the long run.
 
My friend T.J. Loveless were discussing NaNo on Facebook over the weekend. She introduced me to NaNo for nonfiction writers - National Nonfiction Writing Month (NaNonFiWriMo), founded by Nina Amir. It is tempting to join everyone in the challenge, but I was not ready this year.
 
When T.J. told me about NaNonFiWriMo, I thought it is perfect for me. The challenge is for all types of nonfiction.
 
I know NaNonFiWriMo would motivate me to write. It takes me forever to receive some kind of inspiration. I write when I feel like it because I am so darn busy. I want to write, but there is no time in the day to do so.
 
I will definitely participate in NaNonFiWriMo in the near future. It will benefit me in the long run. I love writing. My muse needs to wake up one of these days.
 
Have you participated in the NaNoWriMo and/or NaNonFiWriMo before?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of National Writing Month?

15 comments:

  1. I love NaNoWriMo, my first drafts are always terrible; my writing starts to shine during edits, so NaNo gives me a way to get my first draft done quickly, get the words down so I can start editing. It's also a great motivator :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of NaNonFiWriMo before now, although I wish I had. I am doing NaNoWriMo, but I am a bit of a NaNoRebel. Yes it motivates me, but it's also the cause of my insecurity this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not done Nano, but I hope to some day in the future, too. Right now I'm too busy and I know I'd fall behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've been hoping to be a part of this too and have posted about it, but not sure life is going to open the opportunity for me this time around. What kind of project do you have in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Motivation is the key, isn't it. If only we could pick it off a tree like an apple or buy some from Amazon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working on NaNoWriMo for the first time this year! And I'm learning that even though NaNo is about quantity, I care more about quality. I'm adapting my goals, and enjoying the motivation it's giving me, without killing myself over it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never heard of a non-fiction version, but glad you found it. Hope it motivates you for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The nonfiction challenge would be a good experience. A kick in the you know what, even though it would be challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first year and I love it. It forces me to write. The problem isn't the actual writing, it's the getting myself in front of the computer to write. Once I'm in the zone there's no going back. The 2k word limit helps me say, okay, that's it, save the rest for later. That pause allows me to spend time with family and plot out my next move in my head. I used to binge write. This helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you found something to work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a NaNo-er. Of any sort. But I might write some non-fiction some day. Other than my blog, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nano is great for some, but I'm not one. I completely understand where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  13. interesting! I have a non-fic project coming up too. I set my own month long writing blast tho, and Nov is just not a good time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay for you to consider future participation in the non-fiction arena! It's never too late to join in. Heck, I wasn't able to start NaNo until the 8th, and haven't really had the time, but I do what I can.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete