Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Review: Captain Phillips

 
"Captain Phillips" Review
"Captain Phillips" is nerve-racking and intense. The first act should've been executed differently. The film starts out as Richard Phillips and his wife Angie drive to the airport and the Somalis in poverty.
 
Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi deliver Oscar-worthy performances. The Maersk Alabama crew and pirates lack character development.
 
The events portrayed are very realistic, but predictable. The score is overpowering sometimes. The dialogue is repetitive throughout, with diverse wording. "Captain Phillips" is overlong, clocking in at two hours and fourteen minutes. It should've been thirty minutes shorter.
 
Once "Captain Phillips" is in full throttle, you may notice several similarities to "Argo" and "Zero Dark Thirty". The hostage crisis and the Navy SEALs, respectively.
 
I highly recommend seeing "Captain Phillips" in theatres, as it is an 2014 Oscar contender. B+

5 comments:

  1. I saw the preview for this movie when I went to see something else, and just that stressed me out. I haven't decided if my nerves can take me watching the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We spent Friday night with friends and didn't see this one. I was concerned with the running time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say if you're movie is longer than 90 min it better be for a really good reason. It at least got a B from you so it must still be really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how honest your reviews are! The idea that it is a little verbose and draggy may help it come Oscar time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review Livia. This is definitely going to get Hanks a nomination, one that I feel like he wholly deserves.

    ReplyDelete