Friday, June 7, 2013

Author Spotlight: Rachel Morgan

 
Please welcome Rachel Morgan, author of The Faerie Prince series! Rachel will discuss her writing and publication  journey. Take it away, Rachel!

2007
I was working towards a degree in genetics, not knowing exactly what I’d do with it, but keen nonetheless. I read books all the time, and I had stories buzzing around in my head – which I’ve had for as long as I can remember. I figured I’d write a book some day in the distant future.
 
2009 
After fourth months of working on a research masters and writing down story ideas on the side and wondering when I’d ever have time to actually write a book, my light bulb moment happened: I realized I wanted to be an author NOW. I wanted to write books NOW. Not years in the future when I’ve retired and whatever kids I have leave home.
 
I left the university to become an author, but guess what? I needed a job while I tried to write my first book (because unpublished authors don’t exactly make much money!). So I somehow found myself at a high school teaching maths. I was terrified at first, but it turned out to be fantastic!
 
2010 
Full-time teaching was HECTIC (as any teacher knows!), so I worked out a part-time plan with my principal so that I could teach for half the day and write (and prepare lessons and set tests and mark test papers) for the other half of the day. It was difficult getting my brain to switch back and forth between the teaching zone and the writing zone all the time, but I made it happen.
 
2011
I finished my very first YA fantasy novel! At approximately 120,000 words, it was in definite need of some editing. While I left that novel to “chill” for a while, I started reading all about the epublishing craze. Amanda Hocking’s books had taken off, and other authors were beginning to jump onto the self-pub bandwagon.
 
I also had my first spark of an idea for the Creepy Hollow series and wondered if I could use it to “try out” ePublishing. I looked at all the pros and cons of traditional vs self-publishing, and I eventually decided to self-publish the whole Creepy Hollow story as a series of short parts, i.e. a serial. I spent the rest of 2011 planning my big publishing move.
 
2012
I BECAME A PUBLISHED AUTHOR! In March I published the first part of the Creepy Hollow serial. Then the second, the third and the fourth. Towards the end of the year, I decided that the story I was telling was better suited to a series of full-length novels. It had just become too big and interlinked for short, separate parts! So Parts I to IV became the first novel, and in October The Faerie Guardian was born!
 
2013
I am no longer teaching, I am now married, and I’m writing full-time! I spent the first half of this year getting The Faerie Prince written, edited, formatted and published. AND HERE I AM! Touring the virtual book world to tell everyone about my second novel.
 
I have learned a HUGE amount since I began this journey (some fun things, some not so fun!), and I know I'll continue to learn for as long as this journey takes. And I don't plan for it to end any time soon!

Thank you Rachel!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me today, Livia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed that Rachel was able to balance teaching and writing; it's always been very difficult for me to do that, because teaching can be all-consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel had quite a journey. It's great that you had her over Livia, she's such a talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And your world has completely changed in just a couple short years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful journey. Keep up the good work, and I wish you great success in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel, you've come so far and in a short amount of time! I can't wait to see where you go next. :)

    ReplyDelete