Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review: Star Trek Into Darkness

 
I WILL NOT SHARE SPOILERS IN THIS POST!
 
Star Trek Into Darkness is pure awesomeness. It's a major improvement compared to Star Trek. I'm not a Trekkie, but I can't wait for the third Star Trek film. I didn't see the first Star Trek in cinemas, but I had seen it on home video. It wasn't as awesome as this sequel though.
 
I bought advanced tickets for this film because I was so excited to see it! The theatrical trailer looked epic to me, so I made a priority to see it in its opening weekend. How could I not? I fell in love with the eye-candy. The Enterprise crew is so cute onscreen I could hardly stand it.
 
This was a very memorable cinematic experience for me, considering this is my first Star Trek film I had seen in theatres. I would definitely see Into Darkness again.
 
My Review
Star Trek Into Darkness is an epic spectacle. It’s a fearless upgrade compared to Star Trek. The stakes are higher and this made it stand out.

The performances are one-of-the-best of the year. The chemistry between Captain Kirk and Spock shine throughout the film. You could feel their emotion and dedication. The Enterprise crew delivered a bold message about friendship: always care and appreciate your friends.

This film can be very predictable at times, but the conclusion is an unexpected surprise. It’s very clichéd near the end. The visuals are stunning.

Into Darkness is entertaining and fun to watch. The action sequences and music come together beautifully. Like every blockbuster film, it dragged in the second and third acts. When you think the film would end, it didn’t. This film could have several possible conclusions. It leads into another film obviously. This franchise could last forever. At two hours and twelve minutes, this film felt like five hours.

This Star Trek doesn’t steer into darkness; it leads into a better future. The crew better come prepared. Live long and prosper. B+

15 comments:

  1. It is an awesome movie. The characters meshed so well with the original characters from the series and earlier movies. It was much better than the last one, and I liked the last one a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where it ends, they can no go anywhere with the series. Awesome film and a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like this is another one I might want to watch with the kiddos when it comes out on DVD! Thanks for the rec, Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a super Trekkie, and I loved it too. So glad to see when others love Star Trek. I never thought that would happen. None of my friends ever liked sci-fi the way I did. Now they do!! :) Also ...

    I've nominated you for a Sunshine Award! For more details, please see my post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably picked more nits with this Trek movie than any to date and even with that, this was a great movie. I like every single one of the recast crew. I thought Quinto was good in the last movie, but he knocked this one out of the park.

    For sheer entertainment and production quality, it gets an A easily. But why do I have this sneaking suspicion that Klingons will be prominent in #3?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abrams is one of my favorite directors working right now and after seeing this movie, I can almost guarantee that he won't make a movie I won't like. Nice review Livia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The visuals were definitely stunning. I thoroughly enjoyed it... as long as I didn't think about the plot holes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You convinced me! I have to go see this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I really wish I'd enjoyed it as much. That being said I was going to try and see it again to give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the movie - especially all the references to the original Star Trek. I was amazed how they pulled all the past into the plot with still giving it a fresh spin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really want to see this! I have heard nothing but good things about it, and apparently Benedict Cumberbatch is just awesome. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. my boys & i recently watched the first one and we were pleasantly surprised. now we are ready to see this one. thanks for the review! glad it sounds as good or better than the first!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this review, and couldn't agree more. I enjoyed it immensely, but the clichés were heavy handed near the end . . . and the ending dragged. Somehow I think modern filmmakers aren't satisfied with just one climax in a movie; they seem to want three or more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard so much about this movie and really look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't seen it yet, but am so SO excited! ;)

    ReplyDelete