Thursday, May 16, 2013

Review: The Great Gatsby


I had ridiculous expectations for The Great Gatsby, but it didn't fulfill them. I should've lowered my expectations, but I did not. I love Baz Luhrmann's films, so this fact made me watch it in theatres.

I enjoyed The Great Gatsby immensely. It's one of the most memorable cinematic experiences I've had in ages. The cinematic experience stayed with me long after I had seen The Great Gatsby, but not the film itself. I admit it, I had fun watching the parties for the first hour. I just wanted to be with Gatsby (or should I say, the handsome Leonardo DiCaprio). DiCaprio is so dang hot onscreen that I can hardly stand it! If anything, see The Great Gatsby for the incredible eye-candy. It's awesome despite the film lacks substance, emotion and several other faults. Without further ado, my review! Enjoy!

I'm currently reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and it's fantastic thus far! This film adaptation convinced me to read it! I can see why it is considered "The Great American Novel".

My Review
Baz Luhrmann delivered an epic, overlong, repetitive adaptation of The Great Gatsby. It is having too much fun attending a Gatsby party.

Based on the novel of the same name by F. Scott Fitzgerald, an aspiring bond broker Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) lives near Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) in Long Island. Gatsby hosts extravagant parties in the hope to reunite with the love of his life Daisy Buchanan (Carey Mulligan). Gatsby is obsessed with repeating the past, but is unable to.

Mulligan and DiCaprio lack chemistry onscreen. The characters are two-dimensional and don’t feel human.

The narration by Carraway is unnecessary. The Great Gatsby is in-your-face repetitive and it could drive you insane. Gatsby said “old sport” too many times and this felt clich├ęd throughout. I had enough of this by the third act.

The Great Gatsby is overlong and could’ve been thirty minutes shorter. This film requires many bathroom breaks. The first and third acts draw you in immediately. The parties and climax keep your interest, but the dialogue is tiring.

The “cautionary tale” is relevant in the first act, but diminishes in the second and third acts. It defeats the purpose of the novel. The message is hidden behind the parties. Your actions in the present reflect the future.

There are a few merits to Baz Luhrmann’s The Great Gatsby. To say the least, the visuals are stunning and the music blends in well with the story. The third act may surprise you, but is a letdown.

The Great Gatsby is underwhelming. You must lower your expectations because this adaptation won’t fulfill them. Expect dissatisfaction when you walk out of theatre.

I don’t recommend you attending a Gatsby party, but if you must, attend it for the glam, the music and the fun. Don’t entice yourself too much. B

18 comments:

  1. Oh, this makes me sad because it looks really cool! I'll probably still see it anyway because it's Baz Luhrmann lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess he was trying to out-glam the sixties version of this film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I've seen other films that were so close to being awesome...if they'd just sliced some of the fat off, but it's like the director was too in love with the idea to do the proper tightening. Wise observation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, I was wondering how the new version would deliver. I like Fitzgerald, but dislike effete glamour, and the shallowness of high society.

    I like Tender is the Night much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least it's still a good movie and I plan to read the book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. This is one I expect to like but not love. I think I'll wait for the DVD, because I want to see Leo in this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific, honest, thoughtful review. I cannot wait to see this. I love Baz and Leonardo, but I do see where you are coming from as Baz had kind of the same feel with Romeo+Juliet. I'm still going to sink in and go along for the ride. I'm a LOTR fanatic so I can bide my bathroom time well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fact that it got you to pick up the book is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. your review is close to what i expected. but so glad you are reading it!
    just about every high school student in the US has to read it and it's one of the best required books i've had to read. Original was very good, did you see it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen it or read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you see the original? The original was horrid. Really, really horrid. This remake definitely had flaws, but it far exceeded the original.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry you didn't love it! I know how much you were looking forward to it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the review! I'm looking forward to this movie :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your reviews, Livia-- they're so honest and clear. Thanks for the rec. I might wait for it to come out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent review. I thought the commercials looked visually amazing, but the actors didn't feel right. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed it, but a little Toby Maguire goes a LONG way. Solid review.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had heard mixed reviews of the movie. Glad you cleared it up. I think I'll wait for it on DVD. Great review, Livia.

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was kind of anxious to see Gatsby until I started hearing about the updated music in it and that it was directed by the guy who directed Moulin Rouge which I intensely disliked. I'll probably still see it though. The visuals look good.

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete