Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for Snow White and the Huntsman and Oblivion Film Review

 
Directed by Rupert Sanders
Starring Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron, Chris Hemsworth and Sam Claflin
 
Synopsis
In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen.
 
* * *
 
 
Directed by Joseph Kosinski
Starring Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, and Olga Kurylenko
Released on April 19
 
Synopsis
A veteran assigned to extract Earth's remaining resources begins to question what he knows about his mission and himself.
 
My Review
Oblivion is an entertaining science-fiction film and it delivers unexpected surprises that keep you in tune with the story. Oblivion reminded me of previous science-fiction films I've seen before, but it's somewhat original. This film is very predictable and derivative throughout.
 
Oblivion will keep you in suspense and the music is awesome. I loved the theme song "Oblivion" by M83 and Susanne Sundfør (plays during the end credits, so make sure you stay for this). The visuals are stunning, but lacks orginality. The swimming pool in the sky is very cool (I agree Alex Cavanaugh). The performances are well done, especially by Cruise. Oblivion runs at 125 minutes and it may feel overlong to some people. I was immersed in the story, so time flew by fast for me.
 
I enjoyed Oblivion for its entertaining premise, but it could've been better. I highly recommend this film, especially for science-fiction fans. B-

10 comments:

  1. *sigh* I hate unoriginal stories. I have the feeling this is getting worse the longer I write. Do you have that problem?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever watch movies in theaters anymore, so I'll have to wait for Netflix to catch Oblivion. Ironically, I actually did watch Snow White in the theater because in the trailer the visuals looked so stunning that I wanted to see them on the big screen. And it was beautiful to watch, but overall I wasn't too impressed with the story.

    Happy A to Z-ing,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't pin it to anything particular, but I also felt let down by snow white. Maybe because the entire movie reminds me of Merlin, the series ... Oblivion, I like science fiction, and plan to watch it - maybe on DVD. I hope it is as good as Inception.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hopeing you would review Snow White and the Huntsman. I can't stand Kristen Stewart so I've hesitated to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Jocelyn, I saw Snow White in the theater because of the trailer. The film itself was very disappointing. At least every scene in which Kristen Stewart appeared. Loved Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There were many familiar elements but placed together in a very original manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alex Cavanaugh enjoyed Oblivion too. I'm still considering whether to see it. Snow White rocked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to see both of these still...Must catch up on movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How could it have been better? Now I'm curious... I may still consider seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Snow White and The Huntsman. Didn't see the other film.

    ReplyDelete