Friday, March 22, 2013

My Top Ten Films of 2012

I've seen many spectactular films in 2012 and now, it's time to reveal my top ten films of 2012. Some films stood out to me as others did not. I'm late for this, but who cares? So without further ado, my favorite films of 2012 as an aspiring film critic!
 
Note: Some synopses were taken from the Internet Movie Database.
 
 
1. Silver Linings Playbook
A timeless romance-comedy about mental illness, football obessesions and one of a kind relationship between Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) and Pat (Bradley Cooper). A
 
 
2. Argo
An immersive thriller about the 1979 Iranian Hostage Crisis. Argo is suspenseful with outstanding performances. One of the best thrillers of 2012. A
 
 
3. Zero Dark Thirty
CIA officer Maya (Jessica Chastain) hunts and kills Osama Bin Laden. Director Kathryn Bigelow incorporated controversy, drama and suspense and those ingredients made an incredible film. A
 
 
4. Lincoln
An intriguing history lesson about Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis) passing the 13th Amendment - abolishing slavery. Day-Lewis delivered an incredible performance. It's not the best film of the year, but it's close. B+
 
 
5. Beasts of the Southern Wild
Faced with both her hot-tempered father's fading health and melting ice-caps that flood her ramshackle bayou community and unleash ancient aurochs, six-year-old Hushpuppy (Quvenzhane Wallis) must learn the ways of courage and love. Beasts of the Southern Wild is a powerful film with  strong messages. Wallis delivered an excellent debut as Hushpuppy. A-
 
 
6. Moonrise Kingdom
Young lovers Suzy (Kara Hayward) and Sam (Jared Gilman) flee their town, which causes a local search party to fan out and find them. An engaging and sweet coming-of-age story. B+
 
 
7. Ruby Sparks
Calvin, a novelist (Paul Dano) creates a female character Ruby Sparks (Zoe Kazan) he thinks will love him and then, willing her into existence. A rare romance that's out-of-the-box and inspirational to writers. B+
 
 
8. Les Miserables
In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman), who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert (Russell Crowe) after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's daughter, Cosette (Amanda Seyfried). The fateful decision changes their lives forever. Hathaway's "I Dreamed a Dream" is timeless and the musical numbers may make you sing along. Some performances are better than others, but there is consistent effort throughout. B+
 
 
9. Life of Pi
Pi (Suraj Sharma) is stranded at sea and forms an unexpected connection with a Bengal Tiger. Life of Pi teaches the audience about survivial, courage and love for animals. It's an epic and gorgeous journey for the viewer. A-
 
 
10. The Avengers
Superheroes unite and help save the Earth from Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and his army. If you're not a fan of superheroes, you'll still enjoy this hell of a ride. The Avengers is overlong and draggy, but the epic ending makes up for it. The actors delivered their A-game and it's a joy to watch them work together. A-
 
Runners-Up
 
 
Cloud Atlas
 
 
Bernie
 
 
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

14 comments:

  1. Argo is an awesome and touching movie. Avengers rocked. And I really want to see Moonrise Kingdom. Great list, these are movies all kinds of people would watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have eclectic tastes!
    Avengers was just pure awesome, but Argo and Lincoln were excellent films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to see Argo and Cloud Atlas...both look very good. They're definitely on my 'to see' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sad, I've only seen one of these movies, The Avengers. 2012 was not a good movie year for me. Well, at least I know what I need to rent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, I haven't seen any... but that's what I get for having three wee, little boys :)

    Thanks for the tips... will look out for some of these on Netflix ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of lots of those. So many to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Silver Linings so much . . . can't wait till it comes out on DVD. Going to see Argo on Sunday *squeeee*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely want to see Argo and Lincoln. I remember watching the news when the hostage crisis was going on. Great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED Silverlings playbook. REALLY loved it. I don't own many movies, but I want that one :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've yet to see Lincoln, but I really would like to. Avengers - so many hot men and awesome action. I'd give it an A- too, since the beginning was a bit slow. I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook either, but I hopefully will when it comes to Redbox. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like you pretty much agreed with the Academy. Fun list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apparently I was a recluse in 2012 because I haven't watched a single one, although there are some I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen "Avengers". That's it. A little sad, but I'm more of a renter than a movie goer, so I will be getting to these as they get released on DVD. Thanks to you, I have a list to take to re box with me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so happy to see Life of Pi on your list. It was so much more than a tale of 'survival, courage and love for animals' for me. I also recommend reading the book.

    ReplyDelete