Saturday, February 23, 2013

The 85th Academy Awards


I don't usually post anything on weekends unless I have to. I couldn't resist this weekend because I love watching the Academy Awards. I'm so excited for the Oscars that I can't stand it.

I'm a huge film buff. I love seeing films in theatres and critique every film I see. I've seen seven out of the nine Best Picture nominees. I haven't seen Amour and Django Unchained yet even though I want to.

I've watched the Golden Globes and the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) awards in January and I know what films I'm rooting for. When I see an excellent film, I know it.

If you've noticed, I had the Oscar logo above on my right sidebar linked to the nominees. I'm that thrilled for the 85th Academy Awards! I look forward to this event every February and it's almost here! I love everything about the Oscars: the fashion, the nominees, the statuette, the films, the recognition to awesome filmmakers, the acceptance speeches and the television promotions. It's bliss when I watch the Oscars. No one can bug me while I watch it, but I end up having interruptions anyway.
 
I'm sharing what films I'll be rooting for on Sunday night. I know I may be disappointed if Argo doesn't win Best Picture and Emmanuelle Riva wins Best Actress, but it's anyone's game right now. This is the tightest Oscar race I've seen yet and I won't be surprised if the Academy pulls some upsets. All I know is I'll be laughing my head off with Seth McFarlane hosting and dreaming about accepting an Academy Award.
 
And the most important information: The Academy Awards are honoring the best films of 2012! Hosted by Seth McFarlane. Lincoln received the most nominations (twelve), including Best Picture and Best Director. The 85th Academy Awards will be on Sunday, February 24 at  4pm Pacific Time, 7pm Eastern Time and 6pm Central Time. Check your local listings. 
 
My Oscar Picks
 
Best Picture
 
Best Director
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
 
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
 
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook
 
Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty
 
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
  
Best Supporting Actress
Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables

Best Supporting Actor
Robert DeNiro in Silver Linings Playbook

Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln

Are you watching the Oscars on Sunday?
What films are you rooting for on Oscar night?

11 comments:

  1. I can see I need to catch up on my movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't watch last year, but we are this year. My girls are excited to see the show, and I am too. For some reason I was on Oscar burnout last year, but this year I'm excited for the movies, directors, and actors that are up for awards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to catch up on some movies! I haven't seen Argo, Zero Dark Thirty or Silver Linings. I'm not always the fastest at catching up on seeing movies. I just watched "the perks of being a wallflower" last night and it was very good! Call me a dork, but I like watching the award shows too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to watch the Oscars, too. I haven't seen most of the best film nominees, which is unusual for me because I try to see as many as I can before the big night.

    I think Daniel Day Lewis and Anne Hathaway are the only sure things this year. I have no idea how the other awards will play out, but I'm rooting for Argo because I like Ben Affleck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Either Argo or Lincoln for Best Picture. Watching the special effects, cinematography, and similar awards with interest as well. And Best Supporting Actor - either Jones, Alan Arkin, or Christoph Waltz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a huge movie buff, but I really enjoy reading your take on them on Facebook and here. Thanks Livia! You keep me informed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Argo has captured my heart though I still have great love for Lincoln. For animated I'm really rooting for Wreck it Ralph or Brave. With a little twinge for ParaNorman. Yes I'm a big fan of the Best Animated Feature Category.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother loves the Oscars like you do. She loves all the glamour and excitement. I'll root for your picks too. (Because the only movie I have seen is Django!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen nearly enough movies for the Oscars to make any sense for me, but I'd love to see Anne Hathaway get one for Fantine. I cried during every moment she had screen time in that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It will be fun to see if you picked right! Love the movies :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Django is a great movie! I think Tarantino definitely should have been nominated. Ben Affleck as well.

    I'm pretty sure Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Lawrence will win! 2012 was a good year for both of them :)

    ReplyDelete