Monday, February 4, 2013

Oscars: Argo versus Lincoln

The Current Front-runner
 
On February 1st, I discussed my Oscar predictions. Leading up to Oscar night on February 24th, I plan on posting a series called "Oscars" which will discuss the front-runners and why they should win on Oscar night.
 
To start off, I'm discussing Argo and Lincoln - the two Best Picture front-runners. I discuss why I'm rooting for Argo to win Best Picture over Lincoln. The following is my critical and personal opinion.
  
Argo (Directed by Ben Affleck, Rated R)
A first-rate thriller about the 1980 joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to extract six fugitive American diplomatic personnel out of revolutionary Iran. Argo is based on a true story that has been praised by critics and audiences alike. This film has the perfect combination of drama, suspense and comedy.
 
Argo has Hollywood in the center of its storyline, so the Academy voters love that. Argo did everything right and that's why it deserves to win Best Picture. I'm not expecting Argo to be a surprise on Oscar night if it takes home the top prize. I mean this film really, really deserves all the awards it can get despite it took a few months for the film to gain back its momentum. Go Argo Go!!!
 
Lincoln (Directed by Steven Spielberg, Rated PG-13)
Abraham Lincoln (Daniel Day-Lewis) passes the 13th Amendment - abolishes slavery. An intriguing history lesson but this film doesn't click the right buttons sometimes. Lincoln doesn't move quickly enough until the very end. I admit I was bored, but it kept my interest. I think it could've been better - the first hour needed more action (it was so slow that I fell asleep for a few minutes) and faster pace.
 
Some may argue this film will win Best Picture over Argo. I don't agree: it has some noticeable faults and it's certainly not the Best Picture in my book. Lincoln felt draggy and while watching this film, the two hours felt like five hours. I was wondering when will this end?
 
If Lincoln takes home Best Picture, I'll be disappointed on Oscar night. Lincoln doesn't deserve the top prize and I mean it. Day-Lewis certainly does, but not the film itself.

The Race
Argo and Lincoln will definitely go head to head on Oscar night. In the history of the Oscars, best picture never goes to a film whose director wasn't nominated for best director. With that said, Lincoln received a Best Director nomination for Steven Spielberg unlike Argo snubbed a Best Director nomination for Ben Affleck.

I think Argo has enough momentum to win Best Picture, but it's the matter of will the momentum die down and belong to Lincoln before the Oscar telecast. We'll see...
 
Do you think Argo will be the suprise winner on Oscar night?
Or are you rooting for Lincoln and why?

9 comments:

  1. I can't compare the movies because I missed Argo at the box office. Grr. I'm now eagerly waiting for it to come out on DVD.

    I did see Lincoln and loved it. Though I went to the theater without any expectations because I hadn't heard of the movie at that point. I think Daniel Day-Lewis was great. And Sally Field was wonderful--it was so good to see her in a movie again. (I agree with you that there were some times when the pacing lagged.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even notice the length of Lincoln, anymore than I did in The Hobbit. Then again, I was just fascinated with Day-Lewis' performance.
    I think they are both worthy and won't be disappointed if either wins. Both were important moments in our history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen either one of these, actually, but it was fun to read your assessments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked both but for different reasons. Argo surprised me, because I'd not even seen a preview when we went to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually only watched two or three movies in 2012, including Skyfall and Magic Mike. But I was curious about Lincoln; it looked pretty good. I don't know much about Argo, but the way you described it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like Lincoln winning would be for prestige. However, I feel like it would also undermine all of the other nominees. It was an ambitious year for cinema, and the representation was pretty great in Best Picture. Argo feels closer to the winner solely because it is more of a crowd pleaser and has some fresh talent. I am also trying to avoid saying that it has an Oscar bias (a movie about how important movies are to mass culture - it worked for The Artist), but it feels like it has all of the right elements.

    Also, I used to believe that Lincoln was a strong contender, but it hasn't really held much weight besides Daniel Day Lewis. It hasn't won too many major awards and that only predicts that its relevancy in the race to not be as strong. However, I feel like Steven Spielberg will win director because, well, they forgot to nominate Ben Affleck and they gave it to Spielberg for Saving Private Ryan the year that Shakespeare in Love won. Of course, the same could be said for Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain the year of Crash, but I feel like Spielberg just has that clout this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen either film yet, so I can't say. Your argument for Argo is compelling, and whenever I heard about Lincoln, I hear about Daniel Day-Lewis and not the film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen either one. I'm personally more interested in Lincoln.

    Hello fellow A to Zer. I wanted to stop by, say hi, and start following. I look forward to reading more from you.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only one I saw was Lincoln. My son got extra credit in history class for watching it. Enjoyed the movie, but it was really long...I would have liked it better on Netflix or something, so I could get up and move around a bit.

    ReplyDelete