Friday, February 1, 2013

My Oscar Predictions

 
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Golden Globes) and SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild Awards) presented their winners in January and after I had seen both telecasts, I know (sort of) who should and will take home the gold on Oscar night.
 
Lincoln and Argo will definitely go head to head on Oscar night. Argo has gained momentum and on the other hand, Lincoln seems to be losing its momentum.
 
With Kathryn Bigelow (Zero Dark Thirty), Tom Hooper (Les Miserables) and Ben Affleck (Argo) snubbed in the directing category, it's hard to tell what film will take home Best Picture. And this is coming from a person who has seen seven out of the nine Best Picture nominees. I don't know. All I know is I'll be rooting for Argo to win Best Picture on Oscar night. If you haven't seen Argo yet, you should. I can't wait to see it again!
 
It's all about momentum during awards season. Films must gain enough momentum to receive nominations and to win the awards. And that momentum right now belongs to Argo and it doesn't look like it will stop until the Oscars.
 
Best Picture
Who Should Win: Argo
Who Will Win: Argo
 
Best Director
Who Should Win: Ang Lee, Life of Pi
Who Will Win: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
 
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Who Should Win: Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook
Who Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook
 
*Best Actor in a Leading Role
Who Should Win: Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
Who Will Win: Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln
 
*Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Who Should Win: Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables
Who Will Win: Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables
 
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Who Should Win: Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln
Who Will Win: Tommy Lee Jones in Lincoln
 
Best Animated Feature Film
Who Should Win: Brave
Who Will Win: Brave
 
Best Cinematography
Who Should Win: Life of Pi
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
Best Costume Design
Who Should Win: Les Miserables
Who Will Win: Les Miserables
 
Best Makeup and Hairstying
Who Should Win: Les Miserables
Who Will Win: Les Miserables
 
Best Film Editing
Who Should Win: Lincoln
Who Will Win: Argo
 
Best Original Score
Who Should Win: Life of Pi
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
Best Original Song
Who Should Win: Skyfall in Skyfall
Who Will Win: Skyfall in Skyfall
 
Best Production Design
Who Should Win: Les Miserables
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
Best Sound Editing
Who Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
Best Sound Mixing
Who Should Win: Les Miserables
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
*Best Visual Effects
Who Should Win: Life of Pi
Who Will Win: Life of Pi
 
Best Original Screenplay
Who Should Win: Zero Dark Thirty
Who Will Win: Django Unchained
 
Best Adapted Screenplay
Who Should Win: Lincoln
Who Will Win: Lincoln
 
* = will definitely win
 
What films do you think will win on Oscar night?

14 comments:

  1. I agree with your picks, actually. Especially Daniel Day Lewis and Anne Hathaway. I think they're as much as a sure thing as the Oscars ever have.

    I haven't seen Argo yet but I am rooting for it because I like Ben Affleck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that's neat! As for your predictions...guess we'll just have to wait and see if you're right or not...

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent predictions!
    i need to see a bunch of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great predictions! I still need to see Lincoln, Argo, and Life of Pi. So many movies, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great predictions! Agree on Argo, I hope it wins for the best pic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Argo could be the surprise winner.
    Agree Life of Pi deserves Best Special Effects.
    And I know Django Unchained isn't your kind of film, but Christoph Waltz deserves the Best Supporting Actor award. He stole the film.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I've seen is Lincoln. I'm bad about getting out to the movie theater. I usually see stuff on DVD. But I think you are right about a lot of these. I really should go see Argo this weekend. Everyone says so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with most of your pics. The only two I might change are best pic and best original song. Argo SHOULD win, but I doubt it will. I read in EW that in the history of the Oscars, best picture never goes to a film whose director wasn't nominated for best director. It's happened 3 times, ever, so.... we'll see.

    As for song, I LOVE Skyfall, but I think Seth McFarlane might have a shot with the song from Ted. The Academy doesn't usually go for irreverent humor, but this guy's hilarious. Then again, when has a host ever won an award?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen any of them. I'm slow that way. :D If you prove to be right, we'll all be bugging you to pick our lottery numbers. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't really watch the Oscars anymore. But it will be interesting to see if you're right!
    (

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't watched the Oscars for years... this is your forte, so I'm certain lots of your predictions will come true!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to do a predictions game all the time with my friends and see who was the most accurate. I'm sitting out this year. Did not pay attention enough to know the field, although I do think Best Animated will go to ParaNorman or Wreak-It-Ralph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Solid selection, though I am having trouble deciphering what is personal bias and what I want to win. Truthfully, I have been on the Joaquin Phoenix wagon since I saw The Master and I do find Lincoln to be a little on the overrated side. Even Daniel Day Lewis didn't quite impress me, and I feel like his win would be more for prestige and history (the first actor to win three Best Actor statues) than quality (this is also poignant in other history making categories: Best Supporting Actor (made of past winners), Best Actress (oldest and youngest nominees), Best Animated Feature (three of the nominees are stop motion), Best Live Short (Fresh Guacamole is the shortest nominee ever) as well as Silver Linings Playbook appearing in every major category).

    Still, I find that this year's selection is very interesting on the sole basis that Best Picture isn't a lock, like most years. It could be anything at this point, though I am staunch in believing that Argo will take it (my full list of winner predictions here: http://theoscarbuzz.blogspot.com/p/best-picture-winners.html).

    The only major criticism for it is that it is following Ron Howard's Apollo 13 winning streak a little too closely. Howard wasn't nominated for Best Director, but it won the DGA and everything leading up to it. It lost to Braveheart. So who knows, but I feel like the morale is high enough right now.

    Side note - is anyone worried that the Zero Dark Thirty traction is getting messed with because it can easily be seen as another, more risque version of Argo (true events where America saves the day in the Middle East)? I just saw it and I really wished it had more hype around it because I was a believer that nothing would be better than Jennifer Lawrence this year, but Jessica Chastain was excellent (Review coming soon).

    ReplyDelete