Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Review: Zero Dark Thirty

 
Zero Dark Thirty is the best film of 2012! This film is timely (one year after Osama Bin Laden was captured and killed by the Obama Administration) and ponders many unanswered questions. It has complex meaning and as a viewer, you must discover for yourself the depiction of torture is accurate or inaccurate.
 
The torture may be difficult to watch, but it has so much emotion put into it. You may not  think about the arising questions while watching this film, but you will afterwards. The images and some dialogue stick in your head clearly.
 
I enjoyed Zero Dark Thirty immensely. I didn't want it to end because of its prime performances by Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Ehle. This film wasn't predictable even though it should've been. We all know the end. Even the raid sequence keeps you in suspense. It brings September 11 into the light again and makes you contemplate this event in our lives.
 
Director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal over-achieved my expectations. I walked into the theatre with high expectations and what I received in return, is brilliant. Zero Dark Thirty is the one to see, if not Les Miserables. Zero Dark Thirty is a must-see despite it may not be of your interest!

Zero Dark Thirty may have controversy, but don't let that bother you to see it. It's something that must be seen. Not for its controversies, but for its meaning and message. A
 
* * *
 
 
Jessica Chastain accepting Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
At the 70th Golden Globes
 
What do you think about Zero Dark Thirty?

13 comments:

  1. Would you say it was much better than Bigelow's The Hurt Locker? Because I thought that movie was very cold and unmoving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard such conflicting reviews of this movie. It seems people either love it or hate it, not much middle ground. Your review has me interested though, glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your reviews, Livia-- so insightful with good examples to back up your opinion. I'm not a huge movie buff and if I do go, I want light and easy. I don't like intense movies and this definitely sounds like a heavy watch. I'm glad you liked the movie though and appreciate, very much, reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, Livia. :) I know my husband really want to see this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, Livia! I've seen the advertisements for this movie, but to be honest, I'm not usually interested in movies like this. However, I really liked your review and I may have to reconsider going (especially because I'm sure my husband would love it)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is usually the kind of movie I will wait to rent, but you make a strong case to go see it sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. not my kind of movie, but i appreciate your review. i'm glad it is out and getting watched!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the review, Livia. I've heard much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Alex said, I was not a huge fan of The Hurt Locker. I certainly don't think it deserved more praise than Avatar or Inglourious Basterds that year. I still want to see this one though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure my dh would love it, but it sounds like I might like it, too. Thanks for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not released yet in my country, but something I definitely want to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to see Les Mes, but I have heard Zero Dark Thirty is getting good reviews with critics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see this now! We watched an interview with Chastain last night and it was really interesting!

    ReplyDelete