Wednesday, January 2, 2013

IWSG: Chasing Your Dreams

 
It's time for Insecure Writer's Support Group hosted by the Ninja Captain Alex J. Cavanaugh! We "meet" the first Wednesday of every month and discuss our writing insecurities.

I was going to write a collaboration with Jennie Bennett, but she called it off. We weren't agreeing on anything. I think it's good we went our own ways because we write different genres. I write nonfiction, she writes Young Adult. I learned collaborations only work one way: you must write in the same genre and agree on the story one-hundred percent.
 
I'm currently working on a romance short story that will be in an anthology. Jennie is organizing it, so I still get to work with her. I'm finding hard to show, not tell. Despite it's my first time writing fiction, I'll learn from my peers and hone my craft. I prefer writing nonfiction over fiction. I'm used to writing film reviews and blog posts.

Nothing is easy in writing. You must practice your craft and learn from your peers. I look up at this writing community and it gives me hope. I believe in myself I can do this.

I'm too passionate about writing to give up this dream. I love film too much to give it up. I'm determined to see my dream come true. To make it a reality. I know writing is my thing. I feel like I'm destined for it. I will not give up.

You have a voice and if you're brave enough, you must speak out wheather it is an online presence or in another medium. Take advantage of opportunities because they don't last for long. Never give up! Keep chasing your dreams!

Thank you Alex for hosting this group!

25 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your collaboration but it definitely sounds like you both made the right decision. If writing is your passion you will find the path that is right for you. Every writers journey seems different. Happy New Year, Livia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose an important point of collaboration is to recognize when it's not working. Good luck with all your writing endeavors this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right...it's hard work, but you can never give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Livia, you know from our recent exchange that I'm right in the thick of this with you. Finding our voice, the genre that fits us best is a trial and error process. Like you, I think I'm finding my voice is more suited for non-fiction. But I had to learn that by trying out different writing styles. You know I've got your back and am supporting and cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your great attitude! Keep going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning to writ fiction is definitely a process. Don't give up. It's worth it.

    You might like this. It's a book on POV; it helps you learn to show and not tell. http://www.amazon.com/Rivet-Your-Readers-Point-ebook/dp/B007PUMQ1O I wish I'd come across it sooner! LOL

    Best of luck in 2013! :)
    IWSG #137 until Alex culls the list again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you were realistic enough to accept the fact that the collaboration wasn't working.
    I love the positivity! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, practicing is a must, and not just for writing. Good luck reaching your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the positive attitude here- drive and determination!
    Hope this new year brings many good things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your lovely compliments, and I really do believe in you. Your preserving attitude is exactly what's going to make you a success! We all struggle in the beginning and even beyond. That's why Alex created IWSG in the first place, but we just keep swimming and keep moving forward until we get there. Seriously, we can learn from each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Better to walk away than stay and grow frustrated.
    You can do fiction - it will stretch you as a writer.
    And I had no idea you had a movie blog. Where have I been?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the short story - switching from non-fiction to fiction must be like learning all over again! Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree that nothing is easy in writing. I think all writers must be crazy... but that crazy makes great stories ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry your collab didn't work out! I tried to do one with my best friend once, but we failed too. We could never agree either! Oh well - it's probably for the best! Good luck on your fist fiction try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Believing. So important but sometimes so hard. And you're right about nothing about writing is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. great words! keep writing! and looking forward to jennie's compilation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just keep at it and you will get the hang of things, but it takes time so be patient. Good luck in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keep on doing what you love, and the rest will follow :) happy new year!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a smart move to nix the collab if you can't agree. It's supposed to be fun for both of you, so smart move there. :)

    And you're right! We get to work together anyway on our anthology :) how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry to hear about the collab, but it sounds like you both made the right decision and I love how positive and determined you are. Keep it up, writing is tough, but the writing community is here to help.
    Hugs (:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous post! Achieving your dreams is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My first drafts of The Mistaken were a mess; loads of backstory, info dumps, telling & not showing, starting in the wrong place. All rookie mistakes. But each time I let someone critique it, I learned. Each time I read another agent blog post or book on craft, I learned. You can't learn without actually doing first. You learn best by making mistakes & being corrected. It takes time & patience & the willingness to accept you have a lot to learn. I suggest picking up a few books on craft: Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maass, Plot & Structure by James Scott Bell, The Fire In Fiction by Donald Maass & The Plot Whisperer by Martha Alderson. They're all fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Livia,

    I love Nancy's advice above and am going to look for those books myself!!!

    PS... Your profile picture is great :) It's nice to put a "face to the name."

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful post!!! Keep believing in yourself!

    ReplyDelete