Monday, January 14, 2013

Author Spotlight: Becca Ann

 
Please welcome Becca Ann, author of Reason I Fell For The Funny Fat Friend!

First off, I have to thank Livia for having me over here. Thank you so much, you wonderful person, you!

I was asked to talk about the inspiration behind my book, Reasons I Fell For The Funny Fat Friend. And if you’ve been following my interviews as of late, I’m pretty sure you all know I got the idea from playing with my underarm fat. That’s not what I’ll be talking about, though

I always wanted to write a chubby heroine. There are several ‘fat’ books out there, but I wanted to make this one from the point of view of someone who saw past all the flaws, and fell in love with the person. Not every girl out there is a super model, and not every guy has six pack abs and dancing pecs. (One of these days, I’ll probably write a male who’s chubby too. A Paul Blart kinda guy, lol.

It wasn’t about making ‘fat’ okay. It was more about letting those girls who don’t think they are good enough, know that they are. Fat, skinny, short, tall, black, white, freckly, pimply, frizzy hair, straight hair, loud and obnoxious, shy and reserved… each one of them is capable of finding love with the right person. They don’t have to settle for someone who treats them bad, or even give up finding love at all because they feel like they don’t deserve better. I was the ‘Funny Fat Friend’ in high school. Always the buddy who had all these uber hot friends guys fell over themselves for. When I talked to my high school group of friends, though, each one of them felt that way at one point or another.

And as always, with any romance I write, my hubber bubber is a huge inspiration to me. That love is FUN. It doesn’t always have to come with a million drama issues. You can laugh, poke fun at each other, kiss and snuggle, disagree and argue, and still be in love. And even if you gain a bunch of weight or get some major grey hair or even lose your hair, the real love is behind all that.

And if he’s the right guy (or she’s the right girl) they’ll still think you’re the sexiest thing to walk the planet. Beer gut and all.

That’s the real reason I wrote this book. Was to hopefully let anyone, young and old, know that they are dang awesome, just the way they are.

Thank you Becca! You're awesome!

15 comments:

  1. Great post! That's what I loved so much about the story - it sends out a great message to anyone who has ever felt they weren't really good enough. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. "They don’t have to settle for someone who treats them bad, or even give up finding love at all because they feel like they don’t deserve better." <--- THIS!

    I've been reading wonderful things about this novel all over the blogosphere. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know what? As the mom of four boys and being surrounded by guys on a daily basis, I have learned that guys aren't nearly as obsessed with a girl's weight as we are ladies. And I agree with Becca on the fact that we have to stop beating ourselves up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right - it doesn't have to come with drama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great message! I always thought I was rather dumpy as a teenager, yet when I look back, I see now that was not. Even though child-bearing and thyroid issues have distorted my body and how I see it, my husband, who has always been that uber hot guy, never fails to tell me how beautiful and sexy I am to him. He sees past all I consider to be physical flaws. That's a true man, the kind of hero every woman and girl loves to read about! Sounds like you've written one up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you again Livia for having me over! :) I so agree with all these comments, and I'm like Nancy now, who looks back and wishes I could tell myself I was none of the bad things I thought I was :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Totally touching and very true! I think that's the best part about this story and I love Becca for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I love the thing about love being fun, not full of drama. I feel like that's not a message young people are given very often, and it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that message is conveyed very well. Great post Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post, love the message even more and can't wait to dive into this book! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm totally seeing this everywhere! so awesome to see the support

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here's to beer guts! Well, not on me though. And thanks for signing up for the Re-Introduce Myself Blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I got an idea when I played with my underarm fat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book is burning up the blogosphere... and I've also seen it all over Goodreads!!
    Well done Becca Ann!

    ReplyDelete