Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Culture: Day Laughs, Night Cries Virtual Book Tour

 
Please welcome PEACHES LEDWIDGE!
 
Livia, thanks for hosting the fourth day of my virtual book tour. Day Laughs, Night Cries: Fifteen is a true mother-daughter story about a shattering event that happens between a mother and her daughter (Peaches) in a dark room. The event threatens to destroy the mother-daughter relationship.
 
The theme today is culture. Aspects of culture in Jamaica (primarily), Canada and the US leak through the pages of the book. The main character, for example, consciously or unconsciously, does not always conform to society’s dominant and subcultures.
 
However, culture operates as part of your DNA. Your identity. It is passed on to you and you wear it as a badge though you may think it is invisible. You cannot shed it if you have lived it long enough to remember it. The food you ate, the music you heard and danced to, the clothing you wore, the religion you practiced, and the language you spoke will not leave you totally. You will carry it wherever you go. In Day Laughs, Night Cries: Fifteen, Peaches remembers her culture even she when does not want to remember it.
 
Reflection: Do not ignore your culture. It is part of your identity whether you like it or not. Understand how it has shaped your perception of yourself and others.
 
Trailer
 

Congratulations, Peaches!
I wish you much success!

14 comments:

  1. Yeah for Peaches!
    As a military brat, I was raised in several foreign countries and all across the USA. I am a cultural mutt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, Alex. I have several countries on my wishlist.

      Delete
  2. wow, peaches is all over the blogging world! good for her, and thanks to livia for helping her! u rock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I'm starting to feel like this tour is everywhere on the web.

      Delete
  3. Hi Peaches, you were over at Joy's blog not long ago! Wishing you all the best, and I really like your trailer too!

    And congrats Livia on your nomination! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peaches! Saw your book on Alex's site. I hope I can shake some of my culture though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometime we want to shake some, but we can't, Diane.

      Delete
  5. Livia, I'm very grateful.

    Did I miss your nomination? I'll check.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've barely made it out of the US, definitely shows in my personality (for better or worse).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see you in the blogging world with your book Peaches-- Congratulations on your great book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Peaches! The book looks fascinating! Wishing you lots of success!

    ReplyDelete