Friday, October 26, 2012

The Triple P's by Emily R. King

 
Please welcome one of the most supportive bloggy buddies in this online writing community, Emily R. King! Emily will offer you some awesome "writerly" advice. Enjoy!
 
Hi everyone! I'm so glad to be here at Livia's blog to tell you about the Triple P's of Writing. This is a full-proof plan for waht I call Writerly Happiness. Ready? Here we go!
 
First up is Perseverance
 
Writing is hard. It takes a lot of work, time, dedication, thick skin, and dare I say, a masochistic personality. Moments of self-doubt are normal, and okay—so long as you keep writing.
 
Remember: you write because it’s a part of who you are. Because not writing is harder than writing. So do it! Write when it’s easy, and write when you think you stink and want to give up. No matter how much you doubt yourself, persevere! Keep writing.
 
Second is Perspective
 
We are all at different stages. Think about where you are. Now think about where you want to be. What do you have to do to get there? How long do you think it will take you? Keep this goal in mind. When you reach it, make another attainable goal. This will keep you on track and give you perspective. Make your goal a priority. You’ll get there.

Also, be aware that other people have varying perspectives. Be true to yourself. Make your story something you love. You can’t make everyone happy, so don’t try.
 
Third is Patience
 
Be patient with yourself. You’re still learning and growing as a writer. Don’t get down on yourself when other writers succeed and you feel you haven’t. Give yourself the respect you deserve and put away that measuring stick. Be patient with your writing journey. It’s unique for every writer.
 
Be patient with others. While you’re waiting on a CP, beta reader, agent, editor, or publisher, pass the time reading and writing. Grow your “patience muscle” so you look forward to reading a new book and writing a new story while you’re waiting.
 
Those are the Triple P’s for Writerly Happiness, but I’d like to add one more  - Pleasure. Have fun. Love your characters. Immerse yourself in the world you’re creating. Find pleasure in the little things: a perfectly crafted sentence, the completion of a chapter, a glowing remark from a CP. Enjoy each step of the writing process, no matter how tiny it may be.
 
Thanks for having me, Livia! I hope I've inspired some of you to take up the pen and get busy writing!
 
Bio
Emily R. King lives on an island in the Pacific Northwest. She spends her days caring for her four children and her evenings writing middle grade and young adult fiction.
 
You can check out Emily's blog here.
 
Thank you Emily!
 
I'm currently reading The Mistaken by Nancy S. Thompson! I love how Nancy keeps you on the edge of your seat with vivid descriptions. Have you read The Mistaken yet?
 
Have a great weekend! See you all on Monday!

82 comments:

  1. I'm glad you added pleasure at the end - enjoying what you do is the most important P I think. Above all it should be about the writing itself.

    Great post. Thanks Emily and Livia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be fun! If it isn't, why are we doing it?

      Delete
  2. All very positive! And if we don't take pleasure in what we are doing, whatever that may be, then we're doing something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is the one that's hardest for me. Although that would be true with everything I do, not just writing. Patience is not my strong suit. Love what you say about perspective, very good advice.

    Great post, Emily! Thanks for sharing, Livia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. I need to work on patience too!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful advice, Emily. My patience muscle does need some work lol!

    I have The Mistaken and have it in my queue to read as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure that muscle will get a workout whether you want it to or not. LOL!

      Delete
  5. I don't have a problem with perserverence. And my patience is getting better. But perspective is the hard one. Not so much with the writing process, but with my story. Sometimes my perspective is different from others. Because I see what I want to be there, not what is really there. (I hope that makes sense.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perspective can be a hard one in writing. That's why CP's are so important!

      Delete
  6. Great post. Of those, I think patience is the one I struggle with the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta keep it all in perspective and answer to your own goals, not those of others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Emily.

    This is so true:
    "...one of the most supportive bloggy buddies in this online writing community."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working on perseverance and patience today. Great post. I'll be coming back to the 3 (4) P's of writing. Thanks Emily and thank Livia for having her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. emily is awesome! and i didnt know she lived on an island! cool! do you get stranded much with all that cold weather?

    and patience is my biggest struggle too, but my perseverence makes up for it?

    have a great weekend ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can drive to my island...but it's still an island! :)

      Delete
  11. Emily this was a great post!

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this so much! Great advice. Also this part was my favorite:

    Because not writing is harder than writing.

    How true is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I looooooove Emily... she's SO beyond awesome. And I'm not sure which P is most important... Because they all are SO essential...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this list, and I totally agree with it. I also think it can be applied to other aspects of our lives; for me it's grad school. I'll keep this list in mind the next time I start freaking out about my dissertation. (Except there's nothing pleasurable about writing THAT.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you could apply this to other things as well, that's for sure!

      Delete
  15. What an awesome post, Emily and so very true. I love the three P's- I'm going to have to safe this link for those days when I need some uplifting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just realized many great words begin with "p".

    Prose, perfection, proper, pronunciation, poise, people, parable, and let's not forget "published."

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love P words. Another great one is Party! Ok I might do a little too much of this and better get back to perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great post. And may I add one more P - Prepare. Prepare by continuing to learn. Prepare for the day you are published. Preparation will serve you well all along the path.

    Nice to meet you, Livia :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those really are Perfect:) I need to work on them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hopping over from Emily's blog. She really is the most supportive bloggy friend EVER :) As usual, she has something great to say. I could definitely use more perseverance :D

    Samantha
    Writing Through College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Samantha! You're a darling.

      Delete
  21. Fantastic advice. My biggest challenge is PATIENCE!!! But I think my patience muscle is definitely getting stronger lately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need serious help with the patience one. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Patience & perseverence go hand in hand. You can't really have the latter without the former. And yes, perspective is important. We're all at different places on our writing journeys. But keeping your eye on others can be very encouraging.

    And Emily, all of us Western WA writers should plan a weekend get together sometime, or at least a dinner. How fun would that be?!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you added pleasure at the end of this list. It's supposed to be fun after all, isn't it? Great post Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhh great advice, just what every writer needs to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Patience is the most difficult one. It's a slow process for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be, but perspective can be hard for me too. Heck, they're all tough! :)

      Delete
  27. Excellent post - and one we all need to read (at least, I do!).

    Patience...if only I could hurry up and get some. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. great job, emily! oh patience, what a virtue...

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is one to bookmark! Three P's, Three P's (I'm chanting.) Thanks, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  30. For me, the hardest of the three P's is patience. I'm working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My patience muscles resemble "bulging biceps" LOL
    My challenge is perspective... where I'm at and the direction I'm headed...
    ... The Triple P's sound like a cool mantra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My perspective can get lost in all the other stuff involved with writing and publishing. At least it can for me!

      Delete
  32. Fantastic post. Years ago I struggled with patience, but I'm indeed better at being patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Medeia! Patience is a constant effort. :)

      Delete
  33. Hi, Livia and Emily. Good post. We do need to be all of those things Emily discussed. They're integral to our success as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've struggled with the patience that comes with writing. But I think that I've also struggled with the pleasure aspect of it at times, too. It's always a good reminder to remember why we write!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great list of Ps. I think we sometimes get caught up in all the business that we forget the pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome advice Emily! My big struggle is patience. Working on it every day. :)

    ReplyDelete