Monday, August 27, 2012

On CinemaScore

A CinemaScore Ballot
 
I had seen The Odd Life of Timothy Green on Wednesday, August Fifteenth also known as Opening Day. I met this woman who was handing out CinemaScore polls before the film and we chatted about film and box-office.

This is what you do when you receive a CinemaScore poll
1. A woman or gentleman hands out a CinemaScore poll before the film. You tuck it away until the end of the film.
2. You watch the film and ponder your opinion. You’re the critic here for the studios determining their box-office outcome.
3. When the film is done, you answer the questions on the CinemaScore poll. You bend back tabs on the CinemaScore ballot and hand it back to the woman or gentleman.
 
This film was a rare cinematic experience. I have never done CinemaScore polls before. It had been my first time. I have heard about CinemaScore on Box Office Mojo. When I received the poll, I absolutely freaked out. This wasn’t the average movie experience. It was the one where you are the critic.
 
I’m always the film critic when I walk into the cinema. This woman reassured me that I can become a film critic after receiving an education. I never thought I would be able to do a CinemaScore poll. I was able to do the poll without any harsh feelings.
 
This woman was surprised I gave The Odd Life of Timothy Green a solid “B” considering other moviegoers were most likely thinking, This movie is an “A”. I am a tough critic. I have seen too many films that are similar to each other.

I had a conversation with this woman. I asked her many questions about movie box-office. I also had talked to her about film and box-office.

This is the best thing I’ve heard in the movie theatre, “You are my favorite moviegoer.” Do I hear that often? No. This woman actually said this and it almost flattered me. It made my day.

I also took a photo of the woman. It will make me remember this cinematic experience. I will not post it up to respect her privacy. I didn’t ask what her name is so that’s why she’s known as “this\the woman”.

The Odd Life of Timothy Green received an “A-“ CinemaScore.

About CinemaScore
CinemaScore measures movie appeal among theatre audiences. It has been polling moviegoers at major movie releases on opening day and night to collect demographic information and calculate a distinctive CinemaScore grade. The polls can be found online on many movie websites (eg. Box Office Mojo and Entertainment Weekly).

CinemaScore predicts if a film will be a box-office success or flop based on the polls. This is a preview for the film studios. If a film receives a “C+” or lower, it’s bad news for the studios. If the grade is a “B-” or higher, the film has a chance at being a box-office success.

CinemaScore has been polling at my local Marcus Cinema for the past five years and in the area, for the past twenty years. This woman told me this information. Thank you for sharing this information!

To check out more about CinemaScore, please click here.

8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of CinemaScore. Really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of CinemaScore either, so I appreciate the info. Yes, I can see how you would feel pressure - I know I would! I guess it's sort of like reading a book to review, you have to pay better attention. Not like you don't if it isn't for a review in most ways, but it does make you think about it from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting! I've never heard of this before. Not sure I could relax if I knew I had to score the film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that sounds like a great experience! I don't get to watch as many movies as I'd like now that I'm writing and I have four small children, but I still love them and enjoy them when I can. I'm a HUGE fan of the movies of the 1940's & 1950's. There's nothing quite like a WWII era film. Thanks for sharing your experience today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting! I've never seen one of those before. You get the prize for 'unique post topic.' LOL

    Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is pretty cool. I've never heard of this poll before. It is nice to know Hollywood cares what we think. Most of the time I feel the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, had never heard of this! I don't watch many films but I'd love to be asked to do a poll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome opportunity! I'd love to do that sometime :)

    ReplyDelete